Subscribe

Goodbye, 2011!

Here's my round-up of last year's resolution attemps:

1. Lose 2 stone in weight.
Failed. I managed to stay about level, with maybe a slight net loss, but I didn't get anywhere near the 2 stone mark.

2. Sort out my working life.
I'm going to chalk this one up as a 'pass' because whilst I haven't changed things as dramatically as I stated, I have at least quit my previous job and started teaching in a different school. They say that a change is as good as a rest (though don't ask me who 'they' are).

3. Keep up / re-start my hobbies.
I'm coding this one green although it's a work in progress rather than an outright pass. Work still takes up more time than I feel it should (I imagine that this is true for most people), but I am taking more time and effort to fit the things I enjoy around the daily trudge. I played a gig only last night (thanks to everyone at the Warren pub in Kettering who danced their feet off and made it a great new year's eve for the band!), I'm reading more (my Kindle's getting more of a work out) and I've been fairly good with updating Blogstronomy in fits and bursts. I can't recall having got my camera out much in the past year, and there have even been a few outings and holidays that I've forgotten to take it on. This is a shame.

As for spending quality time with friends, I have a quartet comprising the best friends I have ever had, and we spend a fair amount of time together (I think I see them more now than I did when I was working with them). I only hope this continues, and that the individual friendships I have within the group continue to thrive and develop.

4. Re-educate myself.
Again, this one's being highlighted green more through artistic license than through actually achieving it. I've been learning new things and re-learning old things, but these are mostly in the fields of physics and astronomy (and a bit of chemistry and biology), thanks largely to some of the wonderful, thought-provoking and probing questions I get at Blogstronomy, more than they are in mathematics. I have been expanding my mind, which is the main thing.


I'm going to think of some resolutions for 2012. I quite like @KnikiDavies's idea of 100 Things to Do in 2011 (I'm sure she'll post a similar list for this year).

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if most people could say they had done this well? I didn't make any last year, which means I either totally failed or totally succeeded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine are all a bit vague and wishy-washy which means I can set the criteria at the other end ;-)

    I think you succeeded with flying colours.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for commenting. If you feel passionately about anything I've posted, please feel free to make your views known but please take the time to make sure that your comments are rational, considered and suitable for any audience.

Thanks for reading!

Do you like what you're reading?

If you think I'm doing a good job, buy me a coffee and tell me what you want to see more of:

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive

Creative Commons Licencing Information

Tom⇒maths by T. Briggs is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 by-nc-sa