Subscribe

SPAG Woes - you're / your

I've been spurred into writing another SPAG Woes post: this time it's problems with when to use your and you're, and it was accompanied by the same old argument that comes pre-packaged with most of these punctuation and grammar issues: I didn't get it as a child, so I'm never going to get it.

Piffle. Tosh. Rubbish. Cop-out. This situation is one of those with a couple of fairly simple rules that you need to get your head around. Once you've sorted those, then you're away and your writing becomes that little bit easier to read. As with learning anything the trick is to do it in little chunks, get those sorted and then move on. Here are a couple of those chunks.


When to use "you're"

As I've mentioned in at least one other SPAG Woes post, that apostrophe* shows that there's something missing. In this case,
you're
stands for
you are
If you're not sure whether "you're" would work in your sentence, try it (in your head) with "you are" instead. If "you are" doesn't work, then neither will "you're".

Some examples for you:
  • "Get on you're bikes and ride!"
What I've just typed, if I write it out fully, is "Get on you are bikes and ride!" which makes no sense at all, so it should have been "Get on your bikes and ride!" Much better.
  • "You're overly obsessed with getting your spelling right."
Swap the "you're" for "you are" and see if it works: "You are overly obsessed with getting your spelling right." Bingo.


When to use "your" (or "yours")

This is even easier, and there are two ways to think about it:
  1. (The cheater's way) Use it when "you're" doesn't make sense.
  2. Use it when you're talking about something belonging to someone.
Easy. Now for some examples (you'll recognise the first one):
  • "You're overly obsessed with getting your spelling right."
The first "you're" is right as we've seen before because "you are" fits in its place. The second "your" is right because you're talking about my spelling: it belongs to me.
  • "This is your fish!"
That's my fish, there, and you're being kind enough to point out that it belongs to me, so "your" fits. Let's get it wrong for a moment:
  • "This is you're fish!"
What you're really saying there is "this is you are fish!" which is gibberish.
  • "This fish is yours!"
You're telling me that the fish is mine: it belongs to me: "yours" fits. Note that there's no apostrophe* in "yours". There's no such word as "your's". That apostrophe doesn't belong there. Never. It's an abomination.


Why do I care so much?

I've covered that in this post.


To SPAG-Nazi types

As always, feel free to correct anything you think is wrong with what I'm saying, or to point out any typos or mistakes that I have made myself, but please try to distinguish between genuine mistakes and matters of personal style, experimentation, deliberate rule-breaking and possibly ineffectual attempts at humour.








* That's this thing --> '

2 comments:

  1. Well said that man!

    I fall very definitely into the camp of wanting to see spelling and grammar used correctly. I spotted an incorrect use of 'your' on Facebook this morning but resisted the urge to correct it.

    Using 'of' instead of 'have' is another one that irks me. This has come about, in my opinion, due to excess use of contractions and an alarming number of people appear to think that "must've" is short for must of when it should be must have. Every time I see it I want to scream.

    And don't get me started on people who do not know the difference between 'are' and 'our'.

    Martin "Money Saving" Lewis made a spelling error (quiet when he meant quite) in a post on Facebook this morning and world war 3 has broken out in the comments among those who care about spelling and grammar and those who do not. I'm too scared to join in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've written a post on the 'could of' issue too (check out the SPAG tag). I think it's not so much a problem of not knowing what 'must've' is a contraction of, but not realising it's a contraction at all: they say, think and write 'must of' because they've misheard when someone else says 'must've'.

    I've got a few more SPAG Woes posts in mind- there's no shortage of popular mistakes! What gets me is that I'm not an English graduate. I'm a mathematician .If I can do it, why can't everybody else?

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for commenting. If you feel passionately about anything I've posted, please feel free to make your views known but please take the time to make sure that your comments are rational, considered and suitable for any audience.

Thanks for reading!

Do you like what you're reading?

If you think I'm doing a good job, buy me a coffee and tell me what you want to see more of:

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive

Creative Commons Licencing Information

Tom⇒maths by T. Briggs is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 by-nc-sa