Subscribe

Phantoms are Amongst Us

There are creatures that walk the Earth remaining largely unseen; shadows, heat-haze, corner-of-the-eye stuff. I know this because I am one of them.

I went to a training event as a part of my new job, last week. I arrived at the venue a little late due to planning to be fifteen minutes early and not counting on it taking twenty-five to find a place to park. I entered the room we were to be in for the day shortly after proceedings had begun and, sure enough, during the second presentation of the day, that fearful phrase I am going to ask you to get into pairs was uttered. Being, as I am, me, I'd already clocked that there were an odd number of people present and sure enough within the next thirty seconds I was standing in the middle of the room trying not to look slightly lost as everyone had, naturally, paired off in the opposite direction from me. Throughout the day we were asked to get into various groups, each of a size by which the total group was not equally divisible, and each time I found myself being the extra one, tagging on to the group which seemed most happy giving in to their pity.

It is only recently that I have come to realise that I am not actually alone in whatever nameless social affliction this is. It's simply the case that, unlike Jedi, vampires and immortals, we don't have an innate ability to sense each other; we're just as invisible to one another as we are to Normals. Even as a fairly successful teacher for six years, I never attained that hallowed, respected and ultimately undefinable attribute Presence.

I know people at the other end of the spectrum who, within minutes of walking into a pub, are chatting with others at the bar as if they've known them all their lives. I can walk through the middle of a party populated with people I have known all my life and manifest my presence as nothing more than a chill about the collar.

I am told, on occasion, that the solution is simple: you just talk to people. As if it's the same as putting an apostrophe in the correct place, finding the sum of the squares on the other two sides, or reading a number expressed in standard index form*. I have a 'networking event' scheduled in a few weeks' time: I'm terrified. I can fully imagine being the only person present who doesn't manage to so much as discuss the weather with anyone.

It's not just offline, either. I use twitter, and I like to help out when people post questions: it's often a good way of finding out something new if I don't already know the answer, and nice to find a use for knowledge that I do already possess. But if I post a question it's rare if I get any kind of response at all.

Before I get the inevitable flood of one or two comments from both people who will read this, I'll state that yes, I do know it's something I'm doing wrong. I have some vague ideas about what, but nothing all that concrete, and I have no idea how to put any of them right. People will offer shining insights into how to fix the problem, always along the lines of "you've just got to talk to people!", but this is, to me, a lot like telling me that the solution to really wanting to wear two hats at the same time is "you've just got to grow another head!" I don't know how to do that, and there's very little in the way of helpful advice floating about.

Anyway, if you find yourself reading this and thinking "that's me! That's me!" Then I hope you're reassured to some extent by the fact that you're not alone.

And say hi, if you know how.





* See what I'm getting at here? These three things are simple, but only if you already know how to do them.

6 comments:

  1. I have suffered this affliction my whole life, but some how managed to make some real friends at uni. I believe I went for "just talking to people" Unfortunately, it's not worked since. Oh well.

    Perhaps you are too intelligent for most people :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This exact situation has happened to me more times than I can count.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would usually reply to your questions on Twitter but I quit it as my New Year's Resolution! (in case you wondered where I was haha!)
    I'm usually okay in groups if they make you talk to people, give you a task or something, but if you're left to your own devices I'll rarely get chatting to anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello.

    Just to add "Me too"!.

    I can identify with every word of the above. Good luck with your networking event.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unsurprisingly, I too suffer this from same affliction. I like to entertain the notion that perhaps most people do, but some of us are more likely to notice it.

    The person (people?) who came up with the concept of "network event" deserves a very special place in the 7th circle of hell, probably alongside the sod who invented voice-mail.

    In any case, I'd choose another song to illustrate the phenomenon. Few have captured it better than Iggy Pop in that anthem of post-modernity, "The Passenger"

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're not alone! I know this, yet I still sit here not talking to anybody because I don't think they want me to.

    Lucy: If I remember, it was you who 'just talked' to me, which led on to meeting Robin and Neil, and there's the bulk of my friends made at uni. And I didn't even do the 'just talk to people' thing then. I am utterly useless.

    Tanya: And you can count quite high.

    Kniki: I thought you'd gone quiet...

    Chris: Thanks very much! It surprises me how many people in the education world suffer from this.

    Carlos: This surprised me greatly. You always come across as being really self confident!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for commenting. If you feel passionately about anything I've posted, please feel free to make your views known but please take the time to make sure that your comments are rational, considered and suitable for any audience.

Thanks for reading!

Do you like what you're reading?

If you think I'm doing a good job, buy me a coffee and tell me what you want to see more of:

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive

Creative Commons Licencing Information

Tom⇒maths by T. Briggs is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 by-nc-sa