Subscribe

(David) Soul music

I went to Tamworth today, with a few of my colleagues, to visit a recently-ex-colleague and see his new house (gorgeous*).

But that's not what I want to blog about.

On the way up, a song came on the radio. This one, in fact:



I think it's a great song**, and by the volume increase in the car, so does our driver. Now, I love Starksy and Hutch (seriously. It's an astounding work of televisual art). If anyone's reading this, you may be forgiven for thinking something along the lines of 'well that was a hell of a non-sequitur,' so I shall explain myself: The blonde dude with the puppy-dog eyes who is singing in the above video is David Soul, who played Ken Hutchinson ('Hutch') in the aforementioned 70's American cop drama. Aside from chasing turkeys and bouncing wisecracks and one-liners off Paul Micheal Glaser (Dave Starsky), Soul also had something of a musical career, which included most famously Don't Give Up On Us Baby (released in January 1977, and spent 4 weeks at #1), the song I have included above.

I'm in something of a privileged position (admittedly in very limited, odd circles) in that my mum has a copy of the Don't Give Up On Us Baby single (don't you just love vinyl? I wasn't even around when vinyl was the norm, and even I love it). The B-side on this single is a song called Black Bean Soup, and I like it possibly even more than it's A-side big brother. It's horrendously cheesy, but a very innocent, happy, cheerful and positive song with it. Hearing Don't Give Up... on the radio this afternoon made me think of Black Bean Soup, a song I haven't heard for ages. It is that which I wish to share with you, whomever it might be who wanders in from the dark wastelands of the interweb and manages to read this far.

The video I've included below is a clip from one episode of the Starksky & Hutch TV show. Enjoy!






* The house, not the colleague.
** If tremendously cheesy, but since when did cheesiness alone make a song /bad/?

5 comments:

  1. Cheesiness does not make a song bad...far from it! Cheese is basically a unfair term for music that we all like but praps has been overexposed or is just deemed "uncool", but I'm too old to care what's cool anymore, and in my experience the coolest person loves cheese once a drink ir two has gone down!
    Really like this song, and if that makes me "uncool" then so be it! I'm all for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And OMG you have made me feel old saying vinyl was before your time!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often think that if you're considered uncool by the types of people who believe that they're cool and tell everyone else that they're not, then that's about as cool as you can get.

    I was born under the reign of the cassette tape. They were always shit. A technological mistake between vinyl and CD; a compromise of size over reliability.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We saw David Soul as Jerry Springer in 'Jerry springer, the Opera'. Brilliant, very very funny. He didn't sing though, all Jerry's lines are spoken.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, they could have worked Don't Give Up On Us in there if they'd tried...

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for commenting. If you feel passionately about anything I've posted, please feel free to make your views known but please take the time to make sure that your comments are rational, considered and suitable for any audience.

Thanks for reading!

Do you like what you're reading?

If you think I'm doing a good job, buy me a coffee and tell me what you want to see more of:

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive

Creative Commons Licencing Information

Tom⇒maths by T. Briggs is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 by-nc-sa