Subscribe

Is It A Bird? Is It A 'Plane?

Well yes, actually, it's the latter.

I spent all day yesterday at RAF Waddington with Neil**, Jo, Beth and Robin for the annual Waddington Air Show. Having been discussing photography with Carlos and Roy I have been determined to get snapping, so I took my camera* along to take a snap or two (hundred).

The day itself was great if you like aeroplanes (which I do) and there's plenty of other stuff to do with fairground rides, a couple of hangars full of various groups trying to peddle their wares (mainly further education, aerospace industry recruitment and youth opportunities) and the usual run of food vendors and assorted 'stuff people buy when they're in a field' tents. But don't want to talk too much about that as you can find reviews dotted around the internet without too much effort. What I really want to do is share some of the photographs I took.

I'm pleased with some, not pleased with others, and undecided about many. If you have any interest I'd really appreciate your comments on which ones work for you and why. All of the photos below (and on my flickr account) have, at most, been cropped and suffered some lighting adjustment. You can see the whole set here, and things to spot include two clowns and an 80s TV star!
















This one's begging for captions.

Monk & Torr: Private Detectives
















* It's a Nikon D60, for those who are interested.
** He'll have some pics up soon, too, so watch his twitter account for those. And they'll be better than mine.

6 comments:

  1. Some great pictures here: I love the heart-shape plane trail one and the one above it. Because they are pretty with nice symmetry, and like how you have used effects to bring out/complement the colours.

    And, OMG, ALF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks! I've used very little in the way of effects- just some lightening and darknening here and there, and one or two colour adjustments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure if you had or not, so sorry if you hadn't on those pics! But the light is really effective.

      Delete
    2. No need to apologise; using effects is not a crime! I'm intending to leave my photos mostly natural, though. This is largely because I'm too lazy to do too much processing.

      Delete
  3. So that's where ALF has been hiding all along!

    Looks like you had a ball, and the photos are really great. Most of them tell a story, and some are real heart-stoppers - I love the one with the two attack helicopters diving, like they're about to crash! If anything, the two where a single helicopter is just floating there are less impressive than the others.

    Jenny and I have seen that parachute display, where they use the Union Jack 'chutes. I think she took some shots of them with the 300mm. I'll ask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Carlos! I agree with your comments about the helicopters- they're not so interesting because there's not really a hint of movement about them. The Chinook's quite impressive, though, I think, because you get a hint of how much it just sticks two fingers up at Sir Isaac Newton.

      Delete

Hi, thanks for commenting. If you feel passionately about anything I've posted, please feel free to make your views known but please take the time to make sure that your comments are rational, considered and suitable for any audience.

Thanks for reading!

Do you like what you're reading?

If you think I'm doing a good job, buy me a coffee and tell me what you want to see more of:

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive

Creative Commons Licencing Information

Tom⇒maths by T. Briggs is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 by-nc-sa