Subscribe

SPAG Woes - there / their / they're

Time for more SPAG Woes! This time it's the dreaded "which there / their / they're do I use?" Just like most grammar issues, it's a matter of learning a handful of really simple rules, which I'll outline (with examples) below. Then all you need to do is get a grammar-Nazi friend to correct you every time you cock it up, and a combination of repetition, annoyance, frustration and bitterness (these last three directed at your friend) will help it to stick.


When do I use "there"?

When directions or places are involved:

  • "It's over there!"
  • "Get out of there!"
  • "There isn't any more soap!" (This one isn't quite so obvious with the 'place' thing)
  • "How do we get there?"
  • "What are you doing there?"
  • "There's that escaped chinchilla that was on the news."

When do I use "their"?

When possession or ownership is involved:
  • "That's their overripe watermelon."
  • "Is this their address?"
  • "This one is theirs, not ours."

When do I use "they're"?

I'm saving the easiest one for last: use "they're" only when "they are" would fit too*:
  • "They're coming!" ("They are coming!")
  • "You'll have to ask them when they're here." ("You'll have to ask them when they are here")
  • "They're big, sweaty, ignorant and have hairy hands." (They are big, sweaty, ignorant and have hairy hands.)




* There's that apostrophe [this thing --> ' ] again, standing in for missing letters.

2 comments:

  1. There are a lot of grammar and punctuation rules that I have had to learn as an adult because they simply were not taught in schools in the 1970s and early 80s. However, this is not one of them and I believe that I have known how to use there, their and they're since primary school.

    I had to read "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" in order to understand apostrophes though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember being taught any of this stuff, but I guess I must have.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for commenting. If you feel passionately about anything I've posted, please feel free to make your views known but please take the time to make sure that your comments are rational, considered and suitable for any audience.

Thanks for reading!

Do you like what you're reading?

If you think I'm doing a good job, buy me a coffee and tell me what you want to see more of:

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive

Creative Commons Licencing Information

Tom⇒maths by T. Briggs is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 by-nc-sa