Subscribe

#nokindle - "For me, a book is about the smell, the feel of the paper etc..."

This is part of my 'nokindle' series addressing a few misgivings about e-book readers (with a specific focus on the Kindle because I have one) that I feel are unjust. The introductory post is here.

If the title of this post describes you then, in all honesty, you're doing it wrong.

If, for you, a book is largely ornamental, then you certainly won't like an ebook reader. I've known people like this; people who buy books purely for their prettiness and without any intention of actually reading them. For me, and I assume many bookworms, books are about the words; specifically which words, the order they've been put in, their sum total, and their abstract emotional and intellectual effect on the intangible 'me'. That these words are written down somewhere, that they're clear and comfortable to read, is enough to convey the purpose of a book. To me, a book is not about what the words are written upon, but the words themselves.

Don't get me wrong; the smell of a musty old book is something I find particularly pleasurable, and the feel of crinkly paper between my fingers only adds to the sensation. But owning an ebook reader does not mean that you have to renounce books in their physical form; I have solid, tangible bookshelves with solid, tangible books on them, and no desire to get rid all, or indeed any of them. Now, however, I concentrate on buying in hardcopy form those books which hold a particular attraction to me and go towards defining who I am. I own copies of some books both in traditional form and on my Kindle.

Owning one does not preclude ownership of the other. In fact, I have downloaded copies of a couple of books for my Kindle for free (The Picture of Dorian Gray, for example) that I intend to find solid versions of in particularly aesthetic form; hardback, first edition, limited edition, or the like. If I had bought a paperback version of the book in its cheapest form (as I no doubt would, not knowing how much I'd like it before I had read it) I'd struggle to justify looking for a particularly nice version for my bookshelf.

So, to summarise: you won't want an e-book if books, to you, are primarily something to look at. If, however, they're something to read, then I don't see this issue - given that you're still allowed to buy paper-based books - being a problem.

4 comments:

  1. This is DEFINITELY the argument against Kindles I hear the most, and when deciding to get my Kindle I did wonder whether it would satisfy me in the same way as owning a book would. I DO love the possession of books as my huge bookcase testifies. BUT I adore my Kindle because I realised that my love of reading outweighs my love of book ownership.
    I too, still buy books in their more papery form, and my bookcase is in no danger of redundancy, however I like the fact that a book bought on my Kindle does not add to the bowing of the shelves as I really am running out of space!
    And as far as I know there has been no law written to ban Kindle owners from purchasing books...yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having now read my first book on my new Kindle, I am happy to report that, as you mention, the experiences are not mutually exclusive. That argument is invalid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This argument, for me, would be a bit like saying "I couldn't possibly buy a car: travelling, for me, is all about the feel of bootlaces and the subtle creak of leather." Except, of course, the price discrepancy is much, much greater in the boot-car scenario, making it a much more sensible argument than in the paperback-Kindle one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think there's probably a market for a Kindle cover impregnated with a musty smell.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for commenting. If you feel passionately about anything I've posted, please feel free to make your views known but please take the time to make sure that your comments are rational, considered and suitable for any audience.

Thanks for reading!

Do you like what you're reading?

If you think I'm doing a good job, buy me a coffee and tell me what you want to see more of:

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive

Creative Commons Licencing Information

Tom⇒maths by T. Briggs is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 by-nc-sa