Subscribe

#nokindle - "Computer screens make my eyes tired."

This is part of my 'nokindle' series addressing a few misgivings about e-book readers (with a specific focus on the Kindle because I have one) that I feel are unjust. The introductory post is here.

Same here, but what's that got to do with a Kindle?

The kindle doesn't have a computer screen in the classic sense: it's not backlit and doesn't even use the same technology (no LCD, TFT or even CRT going on at all). It uses what, to me*, is the niftiest thing about the whole kerboodle: e-ink pearl. In short, the screen is made up of pockets of ink that are moved around whenever you 'turn' a page. The result is the most 'real book'-like screen that I've ever seen, with excellent contrast and next-to-no glare**.

The Kindle (and other e-books worth talking about) are about as close as you can get to a real book without picking up a real book, in terms of visual comfort. I haven't noticed any eye strain beyond that generated by reading a traditional book: my eyes are tired out by computer use as much as anyone's, and my Kindle's closer to the bookshelf than it is to the desktop in this respect.




* A big, raving geek.
** I've managed to get a level of glare which makes my Kindle's screen unreadable, but only after trying.

4 comments:

  1. People who say that about e-readers clearly haven't ever seen one. Don't you just love people who complain about stuff they know nothing about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that most people? That's part of the inspiration for writing this series of posts. I'm not getting commission from Amazon, or anything, it just amazes me how so many people make such claims - claims which highlight the fact that they've never seen the item they're railing against!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My major problem with the kindle is that I do a lot of reading in the bath. If I drop a second hand paperback in the bath and don't fish it out in time, it costs me 50p. If I drop a kindle?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jennie! I discussed that one yesterday: http://tommybblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/nokindle-you-cant-use-kindle-in-bath.html

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for commenting. If you feel passionately about anything I've posted, please feel free to make your views known but please take the time to make sure that your comments are rational, considered and suitable for any audience.

Thanks for reading!

Do you like what you're reading?

If you think I'm doing a good job, buy me a coffee and tell me what you want to see more of:

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive

Creative Commons Licencing Information

Tom⇒maths by T. Briggs is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 by-nc-sa