Subscribe

Hallowe'en is EVIL!

Woke up this morning to Sarah Kennedy telling me that the Belvoir* Angel, a church mag that had been delivered to around 500 householdsin an area of Leicestershire, contained an article entitled Halloween isn't a treat - don't be tricked. The article was, it seemed, an attack on anyone who felt like doing anything at all beyond the ordinary daily grind on the evening of October 31st. It proclaims that all who celebrate Hallowe'en are "siding with the Devil and all his works," and the evening is a "concentration on evil and making fun of potentially dangerous situations," during which "normally law-abiding people damage the property of those whom they should be good neighbours," and "In some cases, they bring fear, especially to the elderly."

I think somebody got out of bed on the wrong side.

O.k, there are always going to be be people who take the revelry too far at Hallowe'en, but is the same not true for other occasions? If one person throws a kebab at a window on Christmas Eve, or during Diwali, does that make everyone who is celebrating either of them a devil-worshipper? No. It makes one person an idiot. The same is true for Hallowe'en. Yes, some people will go out on 31st October and be intimidating, possibly violent and may commit vandalism, but these will be a pathetic, embarrassing minority: only intimidating, violent vandals will take part. Most trick-or-treaters will be out for the novelty, the fun, and the social aspect. Party-goers will, on the whole, simply be out to have a good time.

I am particularly annoyed yet another example of religious indoctrination being used to attempt to control people: the article was, according to the sources I have read, aimed at revealing the derogatory effects of celebrating Hallowe'en on our nation's youth, and implies very strongly that anyone celebrating Hallowe'en will go to hell. I start to fume when people use their superstitions to instil fear in order to control the thoughts and actions of anybody, but I am especially concerned when it is aimed at children: it is just plain wrong, and I hope that the bloke who wrote the article is feeling very, very stupid indeed, along with anybody who o.k'd it.

Call me forward-thinking and partly sane, but I'm of the opinion that improving the attitudes and actions of the kind of people who go out to cause trouble during celebrations such as Hallowe'en, especially those at the younger end of society's spectrum, should begin with education about what it means to be a citizen of today's world, rather than with fictional threats of eternal damnation.

At best, the writer's stance detracts from the real issues behind trouble-making at Hallowe'en (or any other celebration event). At worst, it is potentially damaging to the minds and egos of any vulnerable people who are reading the words of somebody who is supposed to be a good example to them.


News just in...
It appears that the Bishop of Leicester has commented that he doesn't agree with the content of the article, and that it is 'overstating the issue'. Even some other religious-types have commented: a pagan representative has described the article as 'absolutely religious', and imply that it's more than a bit offensive to them, what with Hallowe'en originally being a pagan festival, and all**.

All is not lost, then.




* Pronounced 'beaver'.

** That doesn't seem to matter at Christmas, though...

3 comments:

  1. Go TOM!!!!

    You are right. I can live without Halloween personally but my kids want to go trick or treating so I teach them how to do so considerately for their own safety and to safeguard those people who do not wish to be inundated with treat gatherers.
    They learn that we only knock on doors with pumpkins showing cos those people are clearly happy for us to call. I explain that some people don't like or are worried by people knocking on their doors at night, they can understand that, even at 8, 6 and 4! In the same way, my pumpkin is removed from my window at about 8 o clock. In my experience even teenagers in my village seem to follow this same unwritten rule.

    But if taking my children out to gather a few sweets is gonna book me a place in hell, then I'll see you all there, cos I'm not about to stop!!!

    (Last year my youngest boy, then 3, chose to dress as a witch with a pink painted face! Everyone said "ahhh isn't she cute", I didn't bother correcting anyone!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Some wally (or, to be more accurate, some poor guy who has himself been indoctrinated into not questioning his own tightly-gripped superstitions) throwing around accusations of devil-worshippery and telling everyone they're going to hell actually makes me want to don a pointy hat and ask my neighbours for donations of apples with razorblades in them.

    Haha! Poor lad will be scarred for life...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that I would like to see!!!

    I have pictures for posterity :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for commenting. If you feel passionately about anything I've posted, please feel free to make your views known but please take the time to make sure that your comments are rational, considered and suitable for any audience.

Thanks for reading!

Do you like what you're reading?

If you think I'm doing a good job, buy me a coffee and tell me what you want to see more of:

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive

Creative Commons Licencing Information

Tom⇒maths by T. Briggs is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 by-nc-sa