Subscribe

Tuesday's Gone...

Oops, I forgot about today's song, which actually works out as being quite apt now I think about it, so maybe I should just shut up and say I did it on purpose...

Yes. Tuesday's Gone, by Lynyrd Skynyrd, purposefully and (if I do say so myself) humorously left until later than intended on a Tuesday to post it.

Tuesday's Gone was the second track on Lynyrd Skynyrd's first album, helpfully entitled "(pronounced 'lĕh-'nérd 'skin-'nérd)", and is similarly themed to their much more famous track Free Bird: it appears to be about the business of rock 'n roll getting in the way of a relationship, so bye-bye relationship. The video below was recorded at their 11th September 2008 concert during their "Lyve: The Vicious Cycle Tour".


Just because this post doesn't yet seem to be following the precedent of total morbidity as set by Monday's song, I'll mention that the guys who are playing the song in this video are not the same bunch of guys who recorded the original song. This is due to various line-up changes, but arguably most influenced by a plane crash in 1977 which took the lives of a number of Lynyrd Skynyrd's personnel including founder-member Ronnie Van Zant, and caused the surviving members to disband. Other original members not in this performance include Allen Collins who died in 1990 from complications arising from injuries sustained in a car accident in 1986; Ed King, who left the band in 1975 and is now 'happily retired'; Leon Wilkeson, who was found dead on July 27, 2001 having apparently been suffering from chronic liver and lung disease.

On a lighter note, I've just found out that the name Lynyrd Skynyrd came about as a 'mocking tribute' to a P.E. teacher* called Leonard Skinner who was notorious for his strict enforcement of the school's hair-length policy** for boys. I wonder if I will ever be immortalised in a band's name... though I don't think I'm particularly notorious for making kids do their ties up.




* There is not enough P.E. teacher mockery in the world, in my opinion. Why do maths teachers get it all?
** Not long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for commenting. If you feel passionately about anything I've posted, please feel free to make your views known but please take the time to make sure that your comments are rational, considered and suitable for any audience.

Thanks for reading!

Do you like what you're reading?

If you think I'm doing a good job, buy me a coffee and tell me what you want to see more of:

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive

Creative Commons Licencing Information

Tom⇒maths by T. Briggs is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 by-nc-sa