Subscribe

Optimistic October: Day 26 - Same as it Ever Was

This question might not work for every situation, but it illustrates something which is, I think, a good habit to get into.


A question I (try to remember to) ask myself when I start worrying about something is...
Can I do anything about it?
  • If the answer is "no," then it's a moot point and not really worth worrying about (and the problem now turns into "how do I chill myself out about it?")
  • If the answer is "yes," (and that means I must have at least some idea of what I can do) then the problem turns into...
Should I do it?
If the thing that you can do is easy and less stressful than the problem you're worrying about, then just do it. Why wouldn't you?
If the thing that can be done is more difficult or more stressful than the problem, some of the questions I ask myself when deciding whether taking (or avoiding) any given action is worth raising my blood pressure over include:
  • Will anybody to die?
  • Will anybody be subject to specific torment, anguish, pain or discomfort?
  • Will I get into trouble?
  • Is it really my responsibility?
  • Is this more important than other things that require my time and/or energy?
These all boil down to various versions of the question does it matter? If the answer to all of these questions is "no," then I've got some ammunition to convince the whinier parts of my brain that, actually, we're all good here. We've got space. Breathe.

If the answer to any of them is "yes," then maybe it's time to go to red alert*.

Even in that situation, however, I find it's absolutely vital to remind myself that...
Panicking, flapping, and beating myself up is not going to achieve anything at all. 20 minutes spent breathing, calming, relaxing and planning is time much better spent than the same 20 minutes spent doing those other things.

Whilst writing this post I've had the following stuck in my head, placed there by the original challenge as worded in the post's image:








* Even if that does mean changing the bulb.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for commenting. If you feel passionately about anything I've posted, please feel free to make your views known but please take the time to make sure that your comments are rational, considered and suitable for any audience.

Thanks for reading!

Do you like what you're reading?

If you think I'm doing a good job, buy me a coffee and tell me what you want to see more of:

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive

Creative Commons Licencing Information

Tom⇒maths by T. Briggs is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 by-nc-sa